[Sca-cooks] Looking for "real" sour cream

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 18 11:16:02 PST 2004

Brett wrote:
>  I adore labne!  Same thing as kefir, but labne is the name I most
>  often eat it under.

Nope. Labneh and kefir are NOT the same and are made differently.

Labneh is pretty much just drained yogurt. I love the stuff.

Kefir is made by a different process.

According to
http://www.kefir.net

Both kefir and yogurt are cultured milk products but they contain
different types of beneficial bacteria... Kefir contains several
major strains of friendly bacteria not commonly found in yogurt,
Lactobacillus Caucasus, Leuconostoc, Acetobacter species, and
Streptococcus species... It also contains beneficial yeasts, such as
Saccharomyces kefir and Torula kefir...

--- edited to remove some health claims ---

I used to love kefir, but i'm not happy with the flavor or texture of
two brands currently most available here.

Anahita