[Sca-cooks] Vinegar

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 18 11:47:27 PST 2004

On 17 Nov 2004, at 23:24, The Borg wrote:

> I don't suppose  you know of a period cookbook with an actual recipe for
> vinegar? I'm still having trouble documenting it.
>
> Elewyiss

The "Libro de Agricultura" (1551) by Gabriel Alonso de Herrera has
instructions for making vinegar.  The simplest method is to place wine in a
vessel that previously contained vinegar, and leave it in the sun (or a warm
place).

The book is online, but it's page images of the original, in untranslated
Spanish.
http://alfama.sim.ucm.es/dioscorides/consulta_libro.asp?ref=X533701960
(Go to image # 103)

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom