[Sca-cooks] where is this from? Honey Peppered turnips

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 18 13:15:57 PST 2004

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>>From a page on pepper recommended by the LII:
>http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/pepper.html
>
>My pepper recipe is from the late Bert Greene's book, "Greene on
>Greens." The turnips' hearty flavor can balance quite a bit of pepper,
>so don't be afraid. The recipe has ancient Roman origins, and is typical
>of the Romans' love of hot-sweet food. I have changed Greene's recipe to
>call for browning the turnips; the original recipe cooks on lower heat
>with the pan covered. Either way, it is the best way to eat turnips, I
>believe.
>
>    Honey-Peppered Turnips
>
>    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
>    2 tablespoons honey
>    1 pound turnips, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (no larger!)
>    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
>    salt
>
>Melt the butter with the honey in a medium skillet over medium-high
>heat. Stir in the turnips and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until
>turnips are browned and tender, about 12 minutes. Add salt to taste. "
>
>Any idea what the Roman roots of the dish are?

Galloping through Google, I find " Roasted turnip with honey and ginger"
listed on the menu of a meal cooked from:  FLAVOURS OF BYZANTIUM by
Andrew Dalby.  <http://www.byzantinefestival.com/04_feast/feast.html>
 Looks like another book that I need!  Will check both Apicii when I get
home from work.

Selene