[Sca-cooks] where is this from? Honey Peppered turnips

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Nov 18 12:57:32 PST 2004

>From a page on pepper recommended by the LII:
http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/pepper.html

My pepper recipe is from the late Bert Greene's book, "Greene on
Greens." The turnips' hearty flavor can balance quite a bit of pepper,
so don't be afraid. The recipe has ancient Roman origins, and is typical
of the Romans' love of hot-sweet food. I have changed Greene's recipe to
call for browning the turnips; the original recipe cooks on lower heat
with the pan covered. Either way, it is the best way to eat turnips, I
believe.

    Honey-Peppered Turnips

    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 pound turnips, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (no larger!)
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    salt

Melt the butter with the honey in a medium skillet over medium-high
heat. Stir in the turnips and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until
turnips are browned and tender, about 12 minutes. Add salt to taste. "

Any idea what the Roman roots of the dish are?
-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling