[Sca-cooks] Re: Absinthe and herbed liqueurs and cordials

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Nov 18 14:12:41 PST 2004

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>--- Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>  So, that brings to mind a question I have; Absinthe is 19th century,
>

>No, Absinthe is much, much older than 19th century.  Apicius has a
>recipe for it in one of his
>volumes (or 'their' volumes).

Eeeeehhhhhhhh, maybe. I believe Flower and Rosenbaum translate this
as vermouth, which make sense when you consider that both vermouth
and absinthe once contained wormwood, and it's vermouth, not
absinthe, that is made from wine (i.e. not distilled), and "vermouth"
appears to be a distortion of a Germanic term for wormwood.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04

"Who cares what you think? ...Wait! Who do write for? Who sent you?
Who do you write for???"
	-- The President of the United States, 07/04/01