New World Foods- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Earthapples eyc

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Nov 18 15:58:39 PST 2004

Barbara Benson wrote:

> > Cadoc> What would you do if someone plopped down 20
> > pounds of ostrich meat and said "here, you need to
> > make something of this that is good."?
>
> Greetings,
>
> My personal answer would be to pulll out my copies of
> Hildegard von Biegan (sp?)

The Life and Works of Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179)
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/med/hildegarde.html

quoting from the link, above ...

	Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179) was a remarkable
	woman, a "first" in many fields. At a time when
	few women wrote, Hildegard, known as "Sybil of
	the Rhine", produced major works of theology and
	visionary writings. When few women were accorded
	respect, she was consulted by and advised bishops,
	popes, and kings. She used the curative powers of
	natural objects for healing, and wrote treatises
	about natural history and medicinal uses of plants,
	animals, trees and stones. She is the first composer
	whose biography is known. She founded a vibrant
	convent, where her musical plays were performed.

"Sybil of the Rhine" ... perhaps the da Vinci of the Rhine.

<movie trivia>

In Ron Howard's director's commentary for "A Beautiful Mind",
he refers to the music playing when John Nash's 'roommate'
arrives as a motet ... by Hildegard von Bingen.  According
to imdb.com ... the song "Columbia aspexit".

</movie trivia>

> and Rumpoldt. Both of which have references to cooking
> Ostrich. I have not yet translated that part of Rumpoldt,
> but I can read enough of it to pick out the words boil or
> roast, and the names of spices.
>
> Barring that, knowing that these are German sources I
> would substitute Ostrich for another bird in a German
> dish that I already know well.  Which is what I believe
> was being discussed in the first place.

Excuse me a moment ... I have a question ...

Was ostrich native to Europe at that time?  I think they
would have obtained it from Africa.  Was it imported live
or preserved (e.g. salted or another method)?

If it was not fresh, what adjustments to the recipe would
you make when substituting a fresh (or frozen) turkey?

> When new world foods were introduced to the Europeans I
> believe that they would not have invented entirely new
> ways to cook them. They would have used their existing
> techniques and recipies and started experimenting. For
> evidence you can look to Rumpoldt's chapter on Turkey,
> in it he tells you to make Blancmange out of the Turkey
> Breast, or Dumplings (meatballs) as you do with other
> meats etc...

A *very* good analysis. Thanks.

> I agree that "food fashioned in a period style" sounds good!
>
> Glad Tidings,
>
> --Serena da Riva

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick