[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

R J chaingangorg at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 16:01:53 PST 2004

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Is all this side-documenting of ingredients, or even
> the very
> technique, a requirement in some kingdoms?
>
> Anahita
> who hasn't felt the need to document the existence
> of fire or salt

 There is a lot of pressure on people to do
documentation, but every judge has different
expectations from the artisan.
 Craftsmen want to make a "thing", then they want to
show it off. It can be pretty far out of the comfort
zone to have to also write a paper about the "thing"
before it counts for display.

 Many A+S judges may not be familiar with the craft on
display, so an artisan may feel compelled to
overdocument as a prophylactic measure.

 Most craftsmen are unwilling to put in the effort of
creation only to be knocked down points for lacking
documentation, so we will put in information which
might be considered overkill.

 It may seem silly, but I'm not in the mood to lose
out because I didn't include something I think is
obvious, because someone else didn't.

 AEsa