[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Nov 18 16:18:11 PST 2004

>  Craftsmen want to make a "thing", then they want to
> show it off. It can be pretty far out of the comfort
> zone to have to also write a paper about the "thing"
> before it counts for display.
>
>  Many A+S judges may not be familiar with the craft on
> display, so an artisan may feel compelled to
> overdocument as a prophylactic measure.

Yeah, there's nothing like entering a bread and getting the comment
"What's a leaven?"; or entering an item documented in Ram's Little
Dodoen and getting a comment, "I'd like to see a period recipe for
this."

Yes, I did get those comments. Now I judge so it doesn't happen to me.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling