[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 21:04:46 PST 2004

'Lainie spaketh the following truths:

>... the idea that you only do the research/use the period techniques/use the >most authentic of materials when you're doing it for a contest.

This problem is often started by requiring too strenuous documentation work too soon for the artisan.  When I am teaching, I warn students that I get more tough in critiquing their work as they get better, ie, "This is really fantastic work for someone who has been at it as long as you have".  It is not proper to expect "rocket science" from "baby beginners".  I find if better research is gradually expected, they don't get overwhelmed.  Overwhelmed people often "save" documentation work only for competition because the work was outside of their comfort level.  Generally, if they are truly interested in the subject, as they are at it longer, they read more and the docs get better.

snipped...>But in a perfect world, we would do the research and craftsmanship >for the pleasure of itself- just because it's a neat thing to do, not because of an >external reward. Of course this isn't a perfect world...

One thing I am really proud of in my Kingdom is that we have many artisans who do a really high level of research and craftmanship and staying in personna (absolutely no mundane discussions in many cases) just because that is how they play the game.  Not to win competitions or gain titles, but because it is the right thing to do.  As recognition does not motivate these folks, many of them go unnoticed.   No, this is not a perfect worlde, but if we all lead by example, be positive, and keep our skirts clean by not being overcritical, it is a much better place.

Samrah (who is an embroideress first, an herbalist second, and a cook just because it is the right thing to do)