[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 06:06:05 PST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:04:46 -0800 (PST), Samrah
<auntie_samrah at yahoo.com> wrote:
> One thing I am really proud of in my Kingdom is that we have many artisans who do a really high level of research and craftmanship and staying in personna (absolutely no mundane discussions in many cases) just because that is how they play the game.  Not to win competitions or gain titles, but because it is the right thing to do.  As recognition does not motivate these folks, many of them go unnoticed.   No, this is not a perfect worlde, but if we all lead by example, be positive, and keep our skirts clean by not being overcritical, it is a much better place.
>
> Samrah (who is an embroideress first, an herbalist second, and a cook just because it is the right thing to do)

I want to prefact these next few paragraphs by saying, this is my
personal opinion and
that I don't mean it as a personal attack on you, or your friends, but
this is something
that bugs me a lot, and as I am often wont to do when I am experiencing sleep
deprivation......I type.

Y'see, I don't get that "discussion in persona" part.  I do this to
research and recreate,
not rollplay.  If someone asks me where I found documentation for
something, I'm
going to tell him, I am not going to pantomime my way or act my way
through telling
them what they want to know.  I find that to be altogether frustrating in fact.

Technically the other person should ignore me "in persona" because I would speak
Old Irish.....not even the devil understands Irish.  Unless of course
they are Irish.

I am myself, living in the 21st Century, reading and reproducing, studying and
redacting how they lived.  I'm willing to put on some airs for display (not many
for those people who know me).  But I can see persona development, and assuming
the name for the purposes of the event.  But I see it as a tool for
the fun I have
in research.

I want to be able to relate what I learn and find out, and compare
notes with other
people without having to filter my already cluttered mind through yet
another layer
of changes.  Both people involved in the discussion should be be from the same
century so that the ideas are expressed in a clear, non-confusing way.

Yeah, I guess you could say that "confusion is period" but so is clarity.

I don't view the SCA as a roleplaying organization, I view it as a non-profit
educational group.

I guess if they find it to be fun, that's cool for them.  But myself,
I find nothing
more frustrating that entering a conversation about something and then being
met by a purposely blank stare and "I  do not know what you mean milord by

Like I said, this is just a rant on my part, please don't take it personally.
You just struck a nerve and I squeaked.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson