[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 10:47:40 PST 2004

Point well taken.  Generally, the folks I know aren't that bad about it.  They just refuse to talk about obvious mundanities like computers, mundane politics, sports, etc. at Events, and politely try to steer you in the same direction.  I knew one lad for 15 years before I realized that I play piano & he plays keyboards.  Just wouldn't come up--keyboards being electric...  And, it makes Life a good deal more pleasant for the rest of it.

The proper way to handle out of period conversation IMO, is not to panomine, but to say, The seers tell me or I had a dream that in the 21st century they will have this, do this or whatever.  Making a bit of joke of the thing...  Not to be deliberately dense or hard to deal with.  I rarely serve obviously out of period or really Americana foods for SCA stuff, even just to family at war.  When I do there are always comments of:  "I just found this wonderful root from the new worlde.  It is called a potato."  Every one giggles, and gets the joke...

Personally, I find persona an essential part of the art.  It is part of what gives the SCA its charm for me, and makes the thing less of a costume party ;o)  I do talk mundanities, especially about docs, but now will feel a bit less guilty about it.

Sorry to hit a nerve.  I have always loved your posts.  It sounds like you have come across some less than nice people in persona which makes 'em just another form of period nazis...

Samrah

Bill Fisher <liamfisher at gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:04:46 -0800 (PST), Samrah