[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 23:48:31 PST 2004

--- David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>
wrote:

> Now let me disagree from the other side. Making
> a joke out of
> persona, in any of the versions you describe,
> simply makes it harder
> to make persona work when you do want it to.
>
> The best solution to the problem, in my view,
> is to explicitly drop
> out of persona in order to have the
> conversation. If possible, I
> prefer to take advantage of some symbolic
> dividing line--move to the
> edge of the feast hall, or move outside the
> boundary of our
> encampment. If I am teaching a class on in
> persona story telling and
> want to start in persona as a sample, I can put
> my glasses on, or
> take my turban off, to mark the switch from
> being Cariadoc to being
> David.
>
> In other contexts, you simply have different
> conversations at
> different times. Years ago our group did a
> cooks symposium. The
> classes were out of persona, so we could talk
> about sources and
> stuff. The feast and revel afterwards was in
> persona. This list is
> out of persona too.

But you are one of the rare people who seem to
cope with keeping period effortlessly.  I
can handle a banquet, but I find that an entire
day or weekend or war is tiring and trying.

BTW, it was good to see your father advising
Governor Schwarzenegger on economics.  That
is a good sign, I thought, for the future.
And I thought he looked quite good for his age.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.