[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 16:24:14 PST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:47:40 -0800 (PST), Samrah
<auntie_samrah at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Point well taken.  Generally, the folks I know aren't that bad about it.
> They just refuse to talk about obvious mundanities like computers, mundane
> politics, sports, etc. at Events, and politely try to steer you in the same
> direction.  I knew one lad for 15 years before I realized that I play piano
> & he plays keyboards.  Just wouldn't come up--keyboards being electric...
> And, it makes Life a good deal more pleasant for the rest of it.

Yeah, being a systems engineer by trade, I understand those conversations.
People usually find out what I do 3rd hand, or when I am on a list and something
odd comes up about what I do, and I need to mention what I do for a living to
establish when I am rendering a professional opinion.  So unless someone
else brings it up, I try to leave modern stuff out of the picture. (I avoid the
word mundane anymore as well lately, dunno why)

> The proper way to handle out of period conversation IMO, is not to panomine,
> but to say, The seers tell me or I had a dream that in the 21st century they
> will have this, do this or whatever.  Making a bit of joke of the thing...
> Not to be deliberately dense or hard to deal with.  I rarely serve obviously
> out of period or really Americana foods for SCA stuff, even just to family
> at war.  When I do there are always comments of:  "I just found this
> wonderful root from the new worlde.  It is called a potato."  Every one
> giggles, and gets the joke...

Yeah, I can see that, but I'm dense enough without adding another layer
of stuff on top of that.

> Personally, I find persona an essential part of the art.  It is part of what
> gives the SCA its charm for me, and makes the thing less of a costume party
> ;o)  I do talk mundanities, especially about docs, but now will feel a bit
> less guilty about it.

Like I said, I do go in for some of the amenities, but this whole in persona/
out of persona thing really bugs me for some reason.  Maybe it is because
it reminds me too much of LARP talk.

> Sorry to hit a nerve.  I have always loved your posts.  It sounds like you
> have come across some less than nice people in persona which makes 'em just
> another form of period nazis...
>
> Samrah

Thanks, I try to put effort into my posts.  It's alright, that's why I
started off with
my disclaimer before my rant.  Thanks for understanding.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson