[Sca-cooks] Re: Pumpkins (was Not the place for Political )

Rikke D. Giles rgiles at centurytel.net
Sat Nov 20 01:40:45 PST 2004

On 2004.11.20 01:03, Samrah wrote:
> A couple of you have mentioned doing pumpkin pies from scratch.  My
> mom did one years ago, and it turned out rather bland.  I believe she
> just popped 'em in the oven & baked them first.  I have heard that
> there is a specific variety of pumpkin that is appropriate for baking
> rather than carving, and after mom's experience, have never tried the
> scratch thing again.
>
> Are you having good luck with 'em?  Is there a specific sort of
> pumpkin to look for either in the grocery or in seeds for the garden?
>
> Thanks,
> Samrah

Try 'Cinderella' or 'Rouge d'Etampes' which are different names for the
same variety.  These make wonderful pies, and grow in a squat bulbous
shape, just like the pictures of Cinderella's Coach.  The walls are
extremely thick, in a well grown pumpkin, up to 3 or even 3.5 inches
thick in some cases, so you get a LOT of pumpkin pulp.  Because the
walls are so thick, they aren't good for carving, but excellent for
eating.

My partner and I grow these every year, along with several other
varieties, including one with 'naked' seeds for quick pumpkin seed
roasting.

Aelianora de Wintringham
Barony of Dragon's Laire
Kingdom of AnTir