[Sca-cooks] idiots

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sat Nov 20 13:54:03 PST 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Vincenzo commented:
> > At Metalsmith Symposium I, October 2002, Saturday
> > afternoon while doing prep for the feast ...

[snip]

> Were those her own pots? If so, then I can certainly
> think of various reasons.

No ... it makes much more sense now that it seemed to make
then.

> I once loaned over $500 worth of stuff (sword, custom
> sword scabbard, dagger and scabbard and dress helmet) to
> my barony for a demo. And lost all of it. Apparently the
> person who had the stuff brought it to a fighter practice,
> dropped it off and didn't check to see that the equipment
> got back to its proper owners.

Ouch!

> I now am very particular about who I loan anything to for
> an SCA event.

Understandable.

> It could well be that this lady simply didn't know you.

Although that was true, it was not the major factor.

> And she might have had to leave the event before the
> feast or the cleanup was done, so she couldn't stick
> around to make sure the pots got returned to her.

It was a 3 day event ... she wasn't sure about attending
the next day ... and I promised to personally deliver
them to her home if she did not attend the last day.

> Stefan

BTW, I think that we are talking about more than one root
cause of lost items.

In one of these, the owner makes a loan to "A" who then
loans the item to "B".  "A" knows the owner, but fails to
convey that information and burden to "B".  IOW, a scenario
where the item is not actually lost, but instead, can't be
returned because the ownership is 'lost'.

Understanding the 'loss' process might lead to effective
proactive countermeasures.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick