[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Nov 20 10:12:18 PST 2004

>>  > How many times have you heard someone say something like
>>  > "Oh, this isn't period, it's not for a contest or anything"?
>>
>>Very seldom, actually.
>
>How odd. Maybe we're heathens out here, but I've heard it and
>similar sentiments discouraginly often.

My standard example was an old pamphlet, I think a C.A., on songs.
There was a page or two on what songs were period, prefaced by a
comment along the lines of "if you are entering contests, this
information may be useful."

But I'm more concerned with an attitude that seems fairly common, and
comes down to "being authentic is something people do to show off and
gain status." In the extreme, it continues as "and I am proving that
I am an independent person by not going along with it."

>>I use contests and displays as deadlines for me to do my research and
>>write it up, when it comes to a particular herbal item.
>
>Bingo- which is what I was trying to get at, sorta, with the comment
>marked (***) above. I know it acts as a motivator, because I have a
>hard time finishing stuff when there isn't a deadline!

So do I--but there are lots of other deadlines. Articles, or at least
drafts, have to get finished so I can use them as handouts for
Pennsic classes. I have to finish my fourth Anglo-Saxon lyre (due to
Dof's inspiration) so I can give it to a local bard as the bribe to
learn to use it in his performances. Other things have to get
finished up when we are doing a new edition of the Miscellany.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com