[Sca-cooks] Aluminum

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 20 20:31:57 PST 2004

Cryolite, Greenland spar, is extremely rare outside of Greenland.  It was
discovered in 1794.  Bauxite, corundum, feldspar and mica are all easier to
come by and were known in Antiquity.  FWIW, bauxite is the primary source
for aluminum while cryolite is used as flux in the smelting process.  If the
reference in Pliny is to aluminum, then its source would probably be bauxite
(as the metal was produced from clay).

Bear