[Sca-cooks] List Policy

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Sat Nov 20 22:53:14 PST 2004

Laura C. Minnick <lcm at jeffnet.org> [2004.11.21] wrote:
> >Request for clarification: is this the toal lenght of the sig block, or
> >the lenght of the quote (i.e. is the one below of the maximum size, or
> >could I add one line)?
>
> What Gunthar is talking about (I'm pretty sure) is replies. For instance,
> here in my reply to you, I should cut off your sig block from the end.
> Otherwise you get replies that are the text plus the sig block from
> everyone else who replied, ya know?

I'm not certain I agree with your interpretation (I'm sure G. will
clarify what he means himself).

It is allways polite to strip out material that has no bearing on your
reply (i.e. that is not needed to see the context of what you are
writing), including sigs and list info miscellania, but the standard for
how much you are allowed to add after your message as part of the
"signature" varies with different communities. Where I usually go the
rule is 4 lines, no more than 80 characters/line (and all my sigs
conform to that, even it if means skipping good stuff). With your
interpretation I could use -- e.g. -- The Wanderer (in the original AS,
or course) as my quote, and we would both be ok as long as you removed
it when replying.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Practise random acts of intelligence and senseless acts of self-control.