[Sca-cooks] naming things on menus

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 21 03:16:37 PST 2004

When Tom or I do a feast, we post the menu (nicely laid out in a perioid
type face) and the ingredient list (by dish, in large legible type) in the
hall at the entrance to the kitchen, and at troll if possible. I also have
copies in my kitchen notebook along with copies of the recipes. The actual
"working" recipes are separate, so I can hand out individual sheets to
whoever's working on the dish.

I like to use the period names for the dishes on the menu, but I will
provide a sort of explanatory subtitle if the dish is foreign or has a funny
name -- for example, Esparaguat (Asparagus with Spices). I don't try to make
anything sound like nouvelle cuisine though. If someone is concerned about
the actual ingredients, it is easy enough to check the ingredient list.

Cynara