[Sca-cooks] naming things on menus

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Sun Nov 21 04:58:17 PST 2004

a5foil <a5foil at ix.netcom.com> [2004.11.21] wrote:
> When Tom or I do a feast, we post the menu (nicely laid out in a perioid
> type face) and the ingredient list (by dish, in large legible type) in the
> hall at the entrance to the kitchen, and at troll if possible. I also have
> copies in my kitchen notebook along with copies of the recipes. The actual
> "working" recipes are separate, so I can hand out individual sheets to
> whoever's working on the dish.

Very similar to what I do. The full set includes:

Menu+ingredients
   Placed outside of kitchen door, gate/troll, perhaps other strategic
   places as well. A copy with the times pencilled in is used for coarse
   planning in the kichen. Serving staff is asked to read and at least
   have some understanding of what they have read (nice for them to be
   able to tell the feasters more than "looks like brown goo of some
   sort" when asked what mounchelet is.

Each recipie on a separate page
   In plastic folders for handing to assistants. Includes quantities on
   major ingredients, and initial guesses on spicing amounts,
   teperatures, cooking times, etc. Allows the experienced cooks (our
   shire boasts two cooking laurels, and in addition we are two others
   who are not that far behind in knowledge).

All the recipies and the menus
   Given to each assistant who wants one, and any extras given away to
   interested participants. Basically the same as above printed without
   the extra pagebreaks and with the menu prefacing it.

HTML version of the last part to be webbed
   In case anyone *else* is actually interested.

I really should start using some sort of SGML system to generate all
these from the same source; LaTeX works, but is not ideal.

Since some cooks producing non-period feasts have started publishing the
menu and recipies in the principality newsletter I submitted my last
feast there as well. Including an article about the logic behind the
menu: we must remember the humoral balances when we cook, or the health
of the guests might be endangered (imagine starting them out with a
cold, stopping cheese dish!).

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Stop quoting the laws to us.  We carry swords.  -- Pompey the Great