[Sca-cooks] naming things on menus

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Nov 21 12:40:42 PST 2004

Hey all,

I also organize my feasts and food groups to death. For feasts, I put the
menu and ingreds on each table (sometimes with a little historical blurb
regarding same). When we did Ealdormeres last Coronation, each person got a
"brochure" of the feast. I also put out menu and ingreds at the places
previously mentioned. 6-8 weeks before feast it will first appear online so
that folks don't have to call me regarding dietary stuff. This way I don't
lose time on the phone where I'll end up chatting for hours! :) On the menu
itself I do like most do and put the real name with modern description
underneath. I also tend to send dishes out all at once rather than piece
meal (pardon the pun lol).

Getting back to Coronation. Since this was to be their last reign, and they
were paying for the whole feast, Their Highnesses had much  input regarding
menu choices. While I love these folks dearly, they are not really medieval
foodies. To the point where my King would be happy if there was just a slab
of beef in front of him (a true carnivore). As well, our Baroness was a
sort of Co-ordinator of Shtick & Illusion.

So we had many others contributing to the actual preplanning. Occasionally
Baroness Eleanor and our team got together to discuss menu subtleties and
dish names, etc. (It was a themed Coronation). This way, however, not my
proudest moment as an culinary artist, but it served my culinary service
cook end. And I know my friends, whose last reign was just beginning, were
happy.

Micaylah

This is what the menu looked like.

First Course

Royal Bredes & Cheese
The Noble White Bread & Herbed Soft Cheese

Soupe de Grace
Duchess Caitlin’s Beef & Barley Soup

Verdant Fields of Ealdormere
Asparagus & FiddleHeads

Baronial Beasts & Orenge Sauce
Chicken with Seville Orange Sauce

Kraftman’s Dinner
Noodles & Cheese

Ducal Tarte
Strawberry Pie garnished with Ducal Leaves

Second Course

Baron’s Bredes
The less Noble Brown Bread & Brick Cheese

Saffron Rice with Gilded Almonds
Basmati Rice garnished with edible gold leafed almonds & Saffron

Puck’s Pleasure
Mushrooms & Bacon

King’s Hart Tart
Ground Venison Tourtiere

Wealth of the Shires
Salad & Balsamic Vinaigrette

Russian Cream & Cherry Coulis
Firm Almond Pudding garnished with Cherries