[Sca-cooks] rice porridge/rice pudding

Brett McNamara brettmc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 17:07:46 PST 2004

As a lad, I visited family in England several times.  One of the
treats I always looked forward to was "rice pudding."  It's was like
nothing I've seen since but portage sounds like an apt description.

It was rice and cream based.  It was served piping hot and eaten like
soup.  While thicker than broth, it was certainly thinner than
anything you'd think of as a pudding.  We ate it with spoons and the
kids made happy slurping noises.

I don't recall the flavor content, except that Brits had the best
milk.  This is the early '70s and they still brought around little
glass bottles with cream separated at the top.

I'd love to know more about this.

Wistan