[Sca-cooks] rice porridge/rice pudding

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Nov 22 08:51:37 PST 2004

On Nov 21, 2004, at 7:40 PM, Finne Boonen wrote:

> euhm, really stupid question here, but what's the difference between
> rice pudding and rice porridge, (or even between pudding and porridge
> in general)
>
> (Btw, ppl here put saffron in there rice pudding/porridge)

Most of the period recipes for "rice pudding" I've seen seem to be
thinner than a modern pudding or porridge.  My version of "pottage of
rice" is at the following site:

	http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/ryspot.html

Adding saffron to these dishes is actually very period for much or
Europe (seems to be more common than not).  Very curiously, for every
variant I've come across for the modern Indian dish called "payasam",
I've found a corresponding variant from medieval England, France, or
Italy.

- Doc