[Sca-cooks] Re plum pudding

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Nov 21 21:00:00 PST 2004

Also sprach Devra at aol.com:
>         Lorna Sass (Dinner with Tom Jones) cites a Hannah Glasse recipe for
>this, but I seem to remember (in her historical Christmas feast book) a
>somewhat earlier recipe for a plum porridge...
>      Devra, with a mind like an old attic

Hannah Glasse has recipes for both plumb pudding (her spelling) and
plum porridge (the latter being a barley gruel enriched and sweetened
with dried fruit, spiced with mace). As I recall, what Sass says in
her Christmas Feasts book is that Plum Pudding predates the 19th
century (and Hannah Glasse seems to prove this), but that it was not
until the 19th century that the plum pudding supplanted the plum
porridge as a widespread Christmas tradition in England. Neither
recipe contains plums, BTW.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, eat brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04