[Sca-cooks] Summa Lacticiniorum

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 21 23:21:43 PST 2004

   Aelianora de Wintringham mentioned:
> Four years ago there was mentioned on this list the Summa
> Lacticiniorum, a work in Medieval Latin by Pantaleo de Confluentia,
> according to Stefan's Florilegium.

> Does anyone know what happened to this work and the translation?  I am
> intrested in getting a copy in the original latin, if possible.  I can
> translate it myself, most likely (3 years of medieval latin in Grad
> school will do that to you).  I am also interested in the translation,
> if that is available.
>
> In return I can offer an English translation of the Jacobus Bifrons
> Epistolam, written in 1556 and on the subject of cheesemaking in
> Switzerland, with a few comparisons to how it's done in Italy and
> Germany.  I'm working on polishing up my translation, but it should be
> on the 'netshortly.
I'm afraid I don't know any more details about the translation project
for the Summa
  Summa Lacticiniorum than what you read in the Florilegium. However, if
you do find a copy of the original and translate it or if you are
willing to have your translation of the Jacobus Bifrons Epistolam
available in the Florilegium as well as this website you mention, I
would love to have them. You can look at the two translation projects
in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section of the Florilegium if you wish to see
how I've handled other projects. Or, since the two translators are
still on this list, you can probably get their opinions.

My standard policy is that the copyright stays with the author or
translator and I take updates or additions at any time. I just want to
get useful, interesting stuff out where folks can use it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com