[Sca-cooks] Summa Lacticiniorum

Rikke D. Giles rgiles at centurytel.net
Sun Nov 21 18:21:19 PST 2004

Greetings all,

Four years ago there was mentioned on this list the Summa
Lacticiniorum, a work in Medieval Latin by Pantaleo de Confluentia,
according to Stefan's Florilegium. The mention at the time, by Jakys
the Cheesemonger, said that one copy had been found, buried in a modern
paper in Italian by Irma Naso.  They were attempting to translate the
Summa but having some rough going.

Does anyone know what happened to this work and the translation?  I am
interested in getting a copy in the original latin, if possible.  I can
translate it myself, most likely (3 years of medieval latin in Grad
school will do that to you).  I am also interested in the translation,
if that is available.

In return I can offer an English translation of the Jacobus Bifrons
Epistolam, written in 1556 and on the subject of cheesemaking in
Switzerland, with a few comparisons to how it's done in Italy and
Germany.  I'm working on polishing up my translation, but it should be
on the 'net shortly.

I am doing cheesemaking for an A&S competition, using my small herd of
dairy goats for the milk.  But me being the way I am, my interest has
naturally turned to the desire for more in depth knowledge on the
history of cheese and cheesemaking, and a look at original sources.

Yours in Cheesy Service,

Aelianora de Wintringham
Barony of Dragon's Laire
Kingdom of An Tir