[Sca-cooks] Recipe help- OOP

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 22 06:02:15 PST 2004

Phlip wrote:

>For T'day, Margali, Rob, and I are doing Middle Eastern (except for
>Caitlin's ham), and one of the recipes is a saffron rice. I had, this
>weekend, gotton a special delivery from Freya, of some saffron from Micaylah
>(thank you, Micaylah ;-) and made the mistake of mentioning that I thought
>I'd make some saffron rice. Since that was one of the recipes she was
>wanting to do, she asked me to follow her recipe _exactly_ as a test run for
>T'day, so I did.
>
>I was not impressed. For one thing, if I'm going to do that much crapping
>around with a dish, it's going to produce something more interesting than a
>rice that I can make myself with half the steps.
>
>Margali had said that she thought that this would make the standard,
>seperate grain type of rice that Americans seem to prefer (I don't, I LIKE
>sticky rice) with a crust.
>
>My method (1 c rice, two c water, half a stick of butter, throw in a pan on
>low heat until cooked, then let it cook a bit longer, so the rice in the
>bottom fries a bit, making a crust) is lots easier, and I honestly didn't
>see much difference, other than the rice following the ME recipe was even
>more glutinous than usual, and by the time it was ready to eat, I was
>thoroughly tired of rice- and I like rice well enough, that whewn Rob buys
>it for me, he gets it in the 50 lb bags (I, primarily, do about one per
>year).
>
>However, in the interests of fairness, I'm going to post the recipe, and see
>if those of you familiar with this kind of dog-n-pony show might tell me
>what might be wrong, from Margali's expectations. The only difference I made
>from the recipe was that we only have Jasmine rice- might that be a
>difference that makes a difference?
>
>>From "New Food of Life" by Najmieh Batmanglij- basicly, Iranian/Persian
>cooking.
>
>Saffron Steamed Plain Basmati Rice
>
>3 c long grain basmati rice
>8 c water
>2 T salt
>2 T plain yogurt
>1 t ground saffron dissolved in 4 T hot water
>3/4 c butter or olive oil or
>      ghee (I made and used ghee)
>
>1. Pick over rice.
>
>2.Wash rice in lukewarm water 5 times.
>
>3. Soak in 8 c water for 2-24 hours (I went 2 1/2, since I wanted dinner
>tonight, not tomorrow.)
>
>4. Bring to brisk boil for 6-10 minutes ( Was closer to 5 minutes, because
>it was starting to stick). Drain and rince.
>
>5. In a bowl, mix 2 spatulas of rice, 2 T yogurt, 1/2 c ghee and 1/2 c hot
>water, and a few drops of saffron water.
>
>6. Spread the yogurt-rice mixture over the bottom of the pot. This will help
>to create a tender golden crust (tah dig) when rice is cooked.
>
>7. Carefully heap the rice on the yogurt/rice at the bottom of the pan,
>gradually shaping it into a pyramid. Poke a couple holes in (the pile) with
>a wooden spoon.

> [...]
The head cook for our event Saturday did a Jeweled Rice (no I don't have
the recipe...sorry) that we soaked for several hours before cooking,
then cooked it aldente in a large steamer appliance that was part of the
school kitchen we used (stainless steel interior).  We then drained it,
put it back in the appliance, melted butter, followed by a layer of
rice, then a layer of carrots/currants/pistachios/blanced orange
zest/cinnamon, then continued layering until we ran out of rice.  It
then cooked for an additional 20 minutes.  It was incredible!!!  The
crust had to be scraped off of the bottom, but it did come off...and it
was yummy.  And, best of all, we got to keep all of it in the kitchen!

Kiri