[Sca-cooks] Favorite lamb stew recipes for a crockpot?

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 08:46:44 PST 2004

--- Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for nonperiod or period, Western or Middle Eastern, it doesn't matter. The only
> requirement is that they have to be crockpot adaptible. I'm in one of my lamb-craving moods
> again and the butcher there, tempting me <g>.
>
> Gianotta

2 Lbs Lamb Leg or Shoulder, boned, cubed
Season with Salt and Pepper to taste
3 Cloves Garlic, sliced or chopped
4 T FRESH Rosemary, chopped
1 Large carrot, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 large onion, peeled and diced
1 bell pepper, diced (optional)
12 oz. Guinness Stout
3 large Turnips, peeled and diced
2 T Olive oil, lard or clarified butter

Chuck it all in a crock pot, and let it go until the lamb is tender (about 3 - 4 hours on low
heat).  The turnips will begin to break down after a while, and will help to thicken the stock.
The Guinness, garlic and rosemary will make a very rich, savory sauce for the lamb, and the
alcohol will have dissipated.  If you want more liquid, add a little hot beef broth from time to
time.

If you want the veggies to be cooked, but not overcooked, you can add them later, or add more when
the lamb is about 3/4 done.  I like to cook it all together, and then add more later.

I do this as a braised dish quite often at SCA events (sans Bell Pepper on occassion).  Certainly
not documented (as far as I know), but tasty, hearty and satisfying for a bunch of war-weary
fighters, jugglers and cooks.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.