[Sca-cooks] plum pudding

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 10:35:04 PST 2004

--- Daniel Myers <edouard at medievalcookery.com>
wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2004, at 12:45 PM, Huette von Ahrens
> wrote:
>
> > Here is what the Oxford Companion to Food
> says'
> > under the category 'Christmas pudding':
>
> [snip]
>
> > Christmas pudding, the rich culmination of a
> long
> > process of development of 'plum puddings'
> which
> > can be traced back to the early 15th century.
>
> [snip]
>
> > When new kinds of dried fruit became
> available
> > in Britain, first raisins, then prunes in the
> > 16th century, they were added.
>
> Eh?  No prunes in England before the 16th
> century?  I think that may be
> in error.

Hmmm.  I was just copying what was printed.
I took it to mean that prunes were added to
plum pudding in the 16th century, not that
they weren't known until the 16th century.
But, you are right, the wording is confusing.
I will have to find my Penguin edition of the
OCF and see if this was changed or not.

The article was written by Ralph Hancock,
"an encyclopedist with a special interest in
food history and food science."

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.