[Sca-cooks] 12th Night

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 22 13:59:18 PST 2004

> I guess my biggest suggestion is to make sure you, as head cook, have
> final refusal on any site where the kitchen is not adequate...and
> "adequate" can vary from event to event.

*giggle* When I was doing Southern Region War Camp (550-750 people)
dayboard/courtboard, my kitchen was given out from under me about 50% of
the time by the autocrat. The last few times the autocrat got his mom to
cook breakfast for the staff... sbe's a great cook but everyone knew I'd
sworn never to set foot in a kitchen with her, after we definitely
didn't get along the first time in a kitchen together-- but we managed
(in fact, we shared a kitchen at the last event my group did)...  And of
course the kitchen also has to be used by the Ukrainian Homestead staff
for the sausage, pierogi, etc. sale.

The most outstanding example would have to be the year an earlier
autocrat told the homestead staff (who at that time was about 8 little
old Ukrainian church ladies) that they should start selling food at
noon, told her household they could cook in the kitchen, and also told
Ostgardr they could bake for their bakesale in the kitchen that morning
(so as to have the scent of chocolate cookies flowing through the site).
The kitchen itself is the size of a medium-sized full bathroom... we
couldn't have fit all those people in there if we stacked 'em like
cordwood.

I cried, I swore, I whined to other people, and then I packed a hose and
a bunch of tubs so we could wash the fruit and the cutting boards and
knives outside if we had to.

Fortunately, Ostgardr decided to go with pre-baked goods, the household
didn't get up before noon, and the Ukrainian ladies were entranced by my
mom and I being able to say 'halupki' properly (and not so entranced by
their husbands' using the opportunity of selling pierogi to ogle wenches
in bodices)-- they stopped pretending only to speak Ukranian and we got
along fine. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling