[Sca-cooks] Maybe It Is Rocket Science: Bread

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 16:48:03 PST 2004

I make yeast bread, and I am good at it.  I know the how, but there are many on this list who know the why.  Below is my favorite regular, traditional egg bread recipe (made it for 35 years, very comfortable for me).  In this age of heart safe (which often conflicts with what we have come to know & love as just good food), what would happen if I substituted a good quality oil for the margine in the recipe?  Would I go to culinary hell?  Do you think the result with be horrible?

Thanks for the help,
Samrah

Yeast Bread

Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes

In tea cup:

1/2 cup warm water

2 packages (1/2 oz.) yeast

1 teaspoon sugar

Test warm tap water on wrist as for baby's bottle. I have been told it is to be a bit hotter than for a baby, comfortably hot, but not too hot for your wrist. I think the actual temp is 98 degrees, but would have to check cooking text book. Put water in tea cup (amount is approx.; give yourself a bit of room in the cup to comfortably stir without slooshing over). Some folks like to stir the water to create a small whirlpool then sprinkle in the yeast slowly & the sugar. Then stir. The idea is to avoid lumps & get thing well mixed.

In pot on the stove:

1/2 cup margarine or butter -- Melt

Add:

1 1/2 cup milk

1 tablespoon salt

2 tablespoons honey or 1/4 cup sugar.

Stir. Get liquids about the same temp as water above (wrist test). Be careful when testing. Sometimes the melted margarine can stay on the bottom and bee too hot. If it is too hot, it will kill your yeast. Then add 3 eggs and stir.

Now check back with your tea cup. If your yeast is not bubbly and trying to overflow the cup, the yeast is dead. Start over with another batch of yeast. If yeast is OK, add mixture to mixer bowl, add liquids from stove.

Now add 6-1/2 to 7 cups flour, one cup at a time in the mixer. When all of the flour is incorporated, knead 5 minutes with dough hooks or by hand.

Either rinse out bowl dough was made in or in clean bowl add a couple tablespoons oil. Place bread dough on oil. Pick up dough, turn over, so both sides are oily. Cover with a tea towel (light diaper-weight towel) or other towel, and let rise until double, approximately 1-1/2 hours.

Sprinkle flour on your working surface (up to 1 cup). Punch dough down, then shape dough into loaves, rolls or whatever. If you use pans you may choose to grease and flour bottoms only or I suppose you could use waxed paper. Cover with towel. Let raise until double approximately 1 hour. Some folks like to brush with egg yolk & sprinkle with sesame seeds or dust with flour on brown bread (use same recipe, just use 1/2 brown flour & 1/2 white flour.)

Bake at 350 degrees approximately 30-35 minutes for loaves. Probably 10-20 minutes for rolls. Until bottom of loaves or rolls sounds hollow (yes, you have to take it out of the pan for this.)