[Sca-cooks] Maybe It Is Rocket Science: Bread

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adelphi.edu
Mon Nov 22 17:36:39 PST 2004

>I make yeast bread, and I am good at it.  I know the how, but there
>are many on this list who know the why.  Below is my favorite
>regular, traditional egg bread recipe (made it for 35 years, very
>comfortable for me).  In this age of heart safe (which often
>conflicts with what we have come to know & love as just good food),
>what would happen if I substituted a good quality oil for the
>margine in the recipe?  Would I go to culinary hell?  Do you think
>the result with be horrible?

I routinely use olive oil in my bread -- usually "light" rather than
"extra virgin", unless I know I'm only going to be using the dough
for savory applications, like pizza.  Olive oil is probably safer for
the heart than either butter (full of saturated fats and cholesterol)
or margarine (trans-fats).  I haven't noticed any problems with the
bread as a result.  I'm using about half as much of it (in proportion
to the water and/or milk) as Samrah is.

--
                                     John Elys
          (the artist formerly known as mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib)
                                 sbloch at adelphi.edu