[Sca-cooks] Maybe It Is Rocket Science: Bread

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 18:10:01 PST 2004

Thank John.  Yes, my recipe is probably rich in fat in the first place.  Been handed down for a generation or two, and occasionally winds up as coffee cake or cinnamon rolls ;o)

Just because inquiring minds (or at least this one) would like to know, does the change in name reflect a change in persona?

Samrah

Samrah wrote:
>what would happen if I substituted a good quality oil for the
>margine in the recipe? Would I go to culinary hell? Do you think
>the result with be horrible?

John Elys replied:
I routinely use olive oil in my bread -- usually "light" rather than
"extra virgin", unless I know I'm only going to be using the dough
for savory applications, like pizza. Olive oil is probably safer for
the heart than either butter (full of saturated fats and cholesterol)
or margarine (trans-fats). I haven't noticed any problems with the
bread as a result. I'm using about half as much of it (in proportion
to the water and/or milk) as Samrah is.