[Sca-cooks] Maybe It Is Rocket Science: Bread

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 22 22:29:18 PST 2004

On 11/22/04 8:03 PM, "Etain1263 at aol.com" <Etain1263 at aol.com> wrote:

> Am I the only one who is thinking: "oil for margarine...when there are 3
> whole eggs??"
>
> Etain

Oh, that old thing...  Frankly, I think Samrah is better off making the
recipe as written and enjoying the bread in moderation than adding
trans-fats and other bad goo that they put into margarine.  Using 2
egg-whites instead of 1 egg in the recipe might work out texture-wise,
certainly cheaper than buying "egg substitute" which is usually just egg
whites plus yellow food coloring.

If one opts for the oil and egg white version, don't forget that it will
turn out much whiter.  Think about soaking some saffron threads in the water
that goes into the recipe.

May you break bread in good health always!
Selene