Cholesterol- was- Re: [Sca-cooks] Margerine was:Maybe It IsRocketScience: Bread

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Nov 23 18:34:30 PST 2004

Terry Decker wrote:

> >> Yeah, Canada has a food law where you can't make
> >> margarine look like butter.  Margarine comes in all
> >> kinds of odd colors there....including clear, which
> >> remarkably resembles vaseline.

Oversharing warning!      <g>

> > Are you sure?  I've lived in Canada all my life and
> > have never seen weird colored margarine before --
> > they've always been butter colored.  Is it April
> > fools day again, so soon :-) ?

> > Colored ketchup on the other hand, is all the rage
> > right now... I find the purple to be the most
> > disturbing.

OK, I'll just take your word for that -- no need to
send any samples.  Thanks.

> > Faerisa
>
> When it was originally brought out in the U.S.,
> margarine was white, like lard.  You added yellow
> dye to make people think they were eating butter.

Yes ... the uncolored margarine was in a plastic pouch
and the coloring in a small plastic bubble inside.  You
could break the dye packet into the uncolored margarine
and knead the margarine until the coloring was evenly
distributed.

> Some time in the 1940's (IIRC), they started adding
> yellow dye at the factory.

IIRC, factory yellow margarine wasn't available until after
> WWII.

> Bear

I also remember being told that the availability of
margarine over butter was due to the war effort.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick