[Sca-cooks] Pirozhki`s (was Maybe It Is Rocket Science: Bread)

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Nov 23 22:01:21 PST 2004

"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:

> Also sprach Martin G. Diehl:
> >Alphabet City = very low
>
> HA!!!
>
> >  rent,
>
> HA!!! HA!!! HA!!! Maintenance!
>
> >  an area bounded by Houston
> >St. to 14th streets and east of First Ave. where
> >Avenues A, B, C, D are found in NYC.
>
> Okay, this part is still true ;-)...

Well ... what I said *was* true ... ahhh errr mumble
mumble years ago.

[snip]

> But I discovered to my great chagrin just a week or two
> ago that Christine's is no more. There is a little
> Polish/Ukranian restaurant about half a block south of
> where Christine's used to be, but the neighborhood is
> changing. Much of the Polish community that used to
> occupy that area is now in Greenpoint, Brooklyn...

I remember a Polish restaurant near the southwest corner
of Tompkins Square Park ... still there?

I also remember the time in the 1982 or 1983 that a group
went to the row of Indian restaurants -- IIRC, East 6rd
street ... and BYOB meant bring your own beer.  The
Chartered Public Accountant (British speak for CPA) in
the group ordered, "Beef vindaloo, hot!"  The waiter
wondered, "How hot would you like it, Sahr?" and was
told, "As hot as you can make it."

I was seated across the table from him, watching the
moisture run down his face as he ate ... very British,
very stoic ... he would have done the "stiff upper lip"
bit but I think it had burned off by that time.

A few times, as he paused, I asked him, "This is really
good, isn't it?"  ... To my amazement, He finished it all.

> Adamantius

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick