[Sca-cooks] Pirozhki`s (was Maybe It Is Rocket Science: Bread)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Nov 23 19:52:00 PST 2004

Also sprach Martin G. Diehl:
>Alphabet City = very low

HA!!!

>  rent,

HA!!! HA!!! HA!!! Maintenance!

>  an area bounded by Houston
>St. to 14th streets and east of First Ave. where Avenues
>A, B, C, D, and E are found in NYC.

Okay, this part is still true ;-)...

This neighborhood has been, and remains, a regular haunt of mine, for
the past 28 years or so. My aunt still lives in Stuyvesant Town, I
went to Stuyvesant High School, and my son has gone to school for the
past couple of years waaaay uptown at 21st Street and First Avenue.
One of the high schools he'll be applying to is in the building
formerly occupied by Stuyvesant (he also applied there, but they've
moved).

But I discovered to my great chagrin just a week or two ago that
Christine's is no more. There is a little Polish/Ukranian restaurant
about half a block south of where Christine's used to be, but the
neighborhood is changing. Much of the Polish community that used to
occupy that area is now in Greenpoint, Brooklyn...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, eat brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04