[Sca-cooks] Why they don't make chocolate yogurt

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 00:47:45 PST 2004

--- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Anne commented:
> > Oh, but chocolate chips and pecans work admirably in vanilla or plain
> > yogurt!
> > > nutmeg.  I have tried chocolate and it
> > > just doesn't work out, as they say, the yogurt adversely affects the
> > > flavor.
> > >
> > > Aelianora de Wintringham
>
> So, why is this? I wondered about this myself. Why would chocolate
> syrup stirred throughout the yogurt be more affected by any sourness
> caused by the culture compared to chocolate chips? Because the
> chocolate chips are more concentrated in a smaller area than the syrup
> would be?

I'm guessing (only) that the bacteria in yoghurt react with the tannins/whatnot in chocolate in an
adverse way.  The syrup (or cocoa powder if used) are dispersed throughout the yoghurt and have
more surface area available for the bacteria to act upon.  Chocolate chips, being a fairly compact
solid, only offer up the surface of the chip for the acid/bacteria to react with, leaving the
center of the chip unaffected.

Correct?

Or, possibly, Theobromine (in chocolate) and lactic acid (produced by the Lactobacillus Bulgaricus
and Streptococcus thermophilus in yogurt) are chemically angry at each other, and cannot seem to
get along very well.

I think, though, that the really bad taste you get with 'chocolate yogurt' is only achieved when
using cocoa powder.  Melting milk chocolate (or other 'solid' chocolate) and mixing it with yogurt
works just dandy, and has a great flavor.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.