[Sca-cooks] Re: Flavored Yogurt

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 24 20:37:31 PST 2004

John Elys said:
> Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just add your own maple syrup
> to your own yogurt?
Maybe. Maybe not. I've considered adding chocolate to plain yogurt to
get chocolate yogurt. This is probably easier if you are making it
yourself and it is at a semi-solid state. The prepared stuff I buy
comes in the refrigerator case and is fairly stiff. I usually buy it in
the little 4 or 6 oz tubs which are convenient to take to work or for a
quick serving after dinner. These small containers would seem to be
difficult to mix something into without getting yogurt where it doesn't
belong. If I end up adding my own flavor, and maple syrup is a
possibility as well as chocolate, I might buy it in the bigger sizes
which would also be cheaper.

> I make a quart or more of yogurt every few days (mixing some into the
> dogs' kibble and my breakfast cereal, we go through it fast).  If I'm
> eating yogurt as the centerpiece of the dish, I frequently mix in a
> dribble of honey or maple syrup -- it doesn't take much -- and this
> has been one of my favorite flavor combinations for years.
Yes, easier to do when you dribble a bit on a scoop in a large bowl
compared to the little single-serving tubs.

> Bringing this back vaguely on-topic, is there any evidence of anybody
> in medieval Europe intentionally making or using yogurt?
I'm not sure about something in medieval Europe which used the same
microorganisms which we use today to make yogurt, but there were
similar products. See this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
dairy-prod-msg    (80K) 10/ 4/01    Dairy products. milk, butter,
curds, cream.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas