[Sca-cooks] Beer was: Period gifts in jars

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 05:02:14 PST 2004

Also sprach Kai D. Kalix:
>Greetings,
>
>Chris Stanifer wrote:
>>  Who doesn't like beer?????
>
>Depends. Whenever I find myself outside of traditional brewing lands (that
>is, outside of Bavaria, Czechia, Ireland, or Scotland) I prefer wine or
>stronger brands. Most people, especially Americans, tend to think that beer
>is yellow-coloured, foaming, utterly tasteless water ;-)
>kai

What's really sad are the countries whose taste in beer have been
been affected by American trends -- why exactly does Harp Lager
exist, for example???

But I think you'll find that your picture of the Ugly American with
his Canoe Beer isn't as prevalent as it might once have been, and
then there's the fact that the social and economic forces that
created Canoe Beer in the US had already created small beer and small
ale in Europe. In period, in fact.

I _will_ say that beer brewed from rice is just wrong... ;-). OTOH, I
_have_ used maize products (notably cornstarch as an adjunct in
mashing pale malt) so far, with great success.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04