[Sca-cooks] Period gifts in jars

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 08:40:24 PST 2004

Also sprach Martin G. Diehl:

>I have had hard sauce flavored with rum
>-- at least I think was ... after all,
>
>     (1) I was too young to drink,
>     (2) too foolish to think of asking
>
>What recipe would be used for the baseline?

I've never used a recipe for hard sauce, but you'd cream butter with
sugar (preferably superfine, bar sugar or confectioner's sugar), and
just keep going until it's as sweet as you want it or... in my
opinion, when it starts to lose its surface sheen, as will eventually
happen with uncooked confectioner's sugar, then you should stop.
Flavor with booze of choice. The Victorian standard, I believe, would
be brandy, hence the alternate name for hard sauce, brandy butter.

>Same amount of scotch as rum?

Up to you. To taste. But what I was actually talking about was to
roast crabs (something biggish like Dungeness is best), deglaze the
pan juices with Irish or Scotch whisky (the rule is, if you're not
willing to drink you probably shouldn't be cooking with it), then
mount with butter as for beurre blanc. Use the butter sauce as a dip
for the crabs... also good with lobster.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04