[Sca-cooks] Period gifts in jars

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 14:56:48 PST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:40:24 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> I've never used a recipe for hard sauce, but you'd cream butter with
> sugar (preferably superfine, bar sugar or confectioner's sugar), and
> just keep going until it's as sweet as you want it or... in my
> opinion, when it starts to lose its surface sheen, as will eventually
> happen with uncooked confectioner's sugar, then you should stop.
> Flavor with booze of choice. The Victorian standard, I believe, would
> be brandy, hence the alternate name for hard sauce, brandy butter.

I have made something similar for an event or two as a side sauce
for serving over bread pudding.  Jameson's sauce.  I haven't made it
in eons - I believe it was sugar, cream and butter with Jameson's.

> Up to you. To taste. But what I was actually talking about was to
> roast crabs (something biggish like Dungeness is best), deglaze the
> pan juices with Irish or Scotch whisky (the rule is, if you're not
> willing to drink you probably shouldn't be cooking with it), then
> mount with butter as for beurre blanc. Use the butter sauce as a dip
> for the crabs... also good with lobster.
>

> Adamantius

Ya know...this whole thread is making it difficult for me to go face the
meager contents of my fridge at the moment.  I have to work tonight
so I can't make any sort of thanksgiving dinner either....not enough time.

*sigh*

Time to be creative with what I do have :-)

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson