[Sca-cooks] Canoe Beer

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Nov 25 09:30:43 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I do not even know (or remember) what Canoe Beer is?
> kai

Influence from Our Friends in Australia, Who Stand on their Heads."American
beer is like making love in a canoe- fucking next to water." We've picked up
the term, and tend to use it here on Cook's List and in SCA..

That said, I genuinely like beer, both canoe beer and good beer. Each, for
me, serves a different purpose. The canoe beer, given my druthers, is
something to sip on, keeping hydrated, when I can afford it. I will often,
on a hot day, put beer on the rocks- it's not the alcohol I'm craving, but
the taste. When I can't, or when circumstances dictate absolute sobriety,
which in this Puritan inspired nation, they usually do, I drink decaf coffee
the same way. Both, for me, fill a niche that most Americans fill with pop.
I used to be perfectly thrilled to drink 3.2 beer- had the mildly bitter
flavor I like, with less alcohol.

OTOH, I thoroughly enjoy drinking a good beer as well, but in far more
limited circumstances- at the end of a good day, or as an adjunct to a good
and appropriate meal, where I'm not in the mood for a good wine. It's like
any other preference- some days I want chicken, or maybe hamburger, other
days nothing but duck or filet mignon will do ;-)

And, Adamantius, there really is a place for rice beers. Granted the
American styles aren't the best, but I've found myself enjoying ones like
Ichiban, from Japan.

I rarely drink hard liquor, either- I just don't like it particularly, with
a few exceptions- a good brandy or cognac after an excellent meal, or a good
single malt Scotch in the evening among friends- and even then, I'm inclined
to chase either with water or cooled coffee.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.