[Sca-cooks] Beer was: Period gifts in jars

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 10:00:13 PST 2004

--- "Kai D. Kalix" <kdkalix at gmx.de> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Chris Stanifer wrote:
> > Who doesn't like beer?????
>
> Depends. Whenever I find myself outside of traditional brewing lands (that
> is, outside of Bavaria, Czechia, Ireland, or Scotland) I prefer wine or
> stronger brands. Most people, especially Americans, tend to think that beer
> is yellow-coloured, foaming, utterly tasteless water ;-)
> kai

Bzzzt.  I'm sorry, the answer is 'some Americans'.  Thank you for playing :)

There is a very large population in America who *know* what real beer is, and in fact enjoy it.
The 'baseball cap, NASCAR and monster truck' crowd might consider Budweiser, Coors and their other
ill-advised cousins to be *beer*, but the rest of us are either well versed in the brewing
tradition, or at least know that that thin yellow stuff ain't it.  And, American commercial
brewers are making great strides towards a return to honorable brewing in the U.S.  Heck, even
Michelob has come up with their 'Amber Bock', and it is selling quite well.  It's not a Bock, to
be sure, but I give them an 'A' for effort :)

Don't throw all of us into the same boat, please.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.