[Sca-cooks] Medieval yogurt

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 13:57:20 PST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:50:31 -0800 (PST), Chris Stanifer
<jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- rtanhil <rtanhil at fast.net> wrote:
>
> > Ale, fermented with wild cultures, sometimes gets bacterial
> > fermentation from lactobaccillus, among other things.
> > Lambics get their flavor components from this phenomenon.
> > I'm prepared to wager my reputation that medieval people
> > would drink mildly soured beer. I'm not sure about
> > widespread lambic consumption during our period of interest.
>

> The Mort Subite brewery in Belgium  has written records of brewing Lambic as far back as 1686.
> The 'Babble Belt Virtual Pub' offers this brief History, as well"
>
> "
> The Lambic style can trace its roots back over 400 years, and has remained mostly unchanged from
> its introduction. I have heard the first written lambic recipe is dated 1516, ironically the same
> year that Reinheitsgebot - the German purity law - went into effect over all of Bavaria. In fact,

that's not this one right?
1364 (by Keizer Karel IV from Germany)  "Novus Modus Fermentadi Cervisiam"

as this one is cited in my cooking book for being responsible for the
difference in taste between Beers from Brabant and Beers from
Flanders.
(Another essay on the history of yeast that I found on the web claims
that all beer was spontaneous fermentation prior to the 15e century,
but that's a question for the brewers :))

Finne