[Sca-cooks] beer, wine, whiskey, scotch in food

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 15:06:40 PST 2004

.
> Do we have any evidence of it being used in period this way? Or in food
> at all?
>
> As mentioned there are recipes which use beer or ale and there are
> plenty of period recipes which use wine. Are there any period recipes
> which use other alcoholic beverages this way such as cider? I guess I'm
> thinking of beverages and not something like vinegar.
>
> Stefan

>From some reading on it Uisge Beatha, the predecessor to modern Irish
Whiskey and Scotch, was around for centuries, but lacked the character
it has today.  Also. from the level of skill it took to create it, it
seems to have
been used medicinally.

(taken from http://www.celtic-whisky.com/histrya.htm )
In his "Chronicles of England, Scotland and Ireland" published in
1577, Raphael Holinshed describes as follows the incomparable virtues
of Uisge Beatha :

"Being moderately taken,
it slows the age,
it cuts phlegm,
it lightens the mind,
it quickens the spirit,
it cures the dropsy,
it heals the strangulation,
it pounces the stone,
its repels gravel,
it pulls away ventositie,
it keeps and preserves the head from whirling,
the eyes from dazzling,
the tongue from lisping,
the mouth from snuffling,
the teeth from chattering,
the throat from rattling,
the weasan from stiffing,
the stomach from womblying,
the heart from swelling,
the belly from wincing,
the guts from rumbling,
the hands from shivering,
the sinews from shrinking,
the veins from crumpling,
the bones from aching,
the marrow from soaking,
and truly it is a sovereign liquor
if it be orderly taken."

A remedy definitely miraculous and most indispensable !

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson