[Sca-cooks] share those recipes

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 25 16:45:31 PST 2004

caointiarn wrote:

>Oh YUM!  you are going to share recipes, yes??
>
>A hungry Caointiarn

Sure...why not...only with the cornbread dressing, I don't really
remember actual quantities, but we'll give it a whirl:

Roast a turkey with a couple of stalks of celery and smallish onions
inside and the same amount outside...

Meanwhile...boil the giblets and neck in enough water to cover them
until they are tender.
Take some of the broth from the giblets and boil a couple of chopped
onions and celery until they are translucent.
Bake a small pan of rich cornbread...I make mine without sugar.
Crumble up about 2 cups of cornbread and two cups of stale white bread
(this year I used multi-grain bread and it worked just fine) into a
bowl.  Add 2 or 3 beaten eggs, depending on how rich you want it to
be.   Add the celery with the broth you used to cook it.  I also add a
little of the juice from the roasted turkey.  If you need more moisture,
add some chicken broth.  You should have a very moist, almost
batter-like mixture.  Dump into a greased pan and bake for about 45
minutes or so until it's solid all the way through.

Once you've removed the bird from the roasting pan, add some white wine
(just a couple of "glugs") and deglaze the pan.  If you need more
liquid, add some more chicken broth...you may even have some of the
giblet broth left...add that, if desired.  Bring the mixture to a boil,
scraping any of the brown stuff off of the pan.  Mix some flour or
cornstarch with a little water, then whisk into the broth mixture,
making sure that you stir constantly to avoid lumps.  Chop up the
giblets and add them to the gravy.

This is the recipe that my mother got from the Purefoy Hotel in
Talledega, AL when we lived there long many years ago.

The cranberry relish recipe came from the Today Show this morning...

*Fresh Cranberry Relish*

2 pounds fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup Grand Marnier liqueur
Zest and juice of 1 orange

Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, pulse several
times to break down the cranberries and incorporate the ingredients; it
should still be a bit chunky. Allow the relish to sit at room
temperature for at least 30 minutes so the flavors can marry.  (I used
Splenda instead of sugar...)

That's about it....

Kiri