[Sca-cooks] Fruitcake's Bad Rap

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri Nov 26 16:24:23 PST 2004

Was written:

  However, my
> own dislike of fruitcake stems from the simple fact that, for the most
part and in most
> circumstances, I do not like candied fruit.  As Master Adamantius pointed
out, Citron is the main
> culprit (you can keep it), followed hard on the heels by candied orange
peel, candied pineapple
> (why???) and those little red balls of poison some have eluded to as
'cherries'.  And, even though
> I've heard many recipes include them, I refuse to believe that anyone
would willingly put raisins
> into something which was meant for human consumption (with the possible
exception of my
> Mediterranean Stuffed Pork Roast).
>
> And, the last fruitcake I was forced to endure had something green and
shiny in it, like a lime
> Ju-Ju-Bee or something.  I am confident it was solidified Pine-Sol.

Hmmm... perhaps for some people the adversion is too great.  For me it is
asparagus, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and broccoli.  Mayhaps a recipe with
alternative fruits; figs, calamondins, currents, dates and for a wild card
prunes or even lychee nuts might be what you seek in the dark fruit cake of
your dreams?

Daniel