[Sca-cooks] Fruitcake's Bad Rap

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 15:34:18 PST 2004

--- Daniel  Phelps <phelpsd at gate.net> wrote:

> Was written:

> > believe its more of a traditional North American cultural thingy to joke
> > about and dislike fruitcake.

That may be true.  Fruitcake has been stapled to a very bad reputation in this country, mainly due
to those heavy, dense, over-spiced anchors they sell as fruitcake in most locales.  However, my
own dislike of fruitcake stems from the simple fact that, for the most part and in most
circumstances, I do not like candied fruit.  As Master Adamantius pointed out, Citron is the main
culprit (you can keep it), followed hard on the heels by candied orange peel, candied pineapple
(why???) and those little red balls of poison some have eluded to as 'cherries'.  And, even though
I've heard many recipes include them, I refuse to believe that anyone would willingly put raisins
into something which was meant for human consumption (with the possible exception of my
Mediterranean Stuffed Pork Roast).

And, the last fruitcake I was forced to endure had something green and shiny in it, like a lime
Ju-Ju-Bee or something.  I am confident it was solidified Pine-Sol.

   A book... I can see a cook book in this... "Fruit Cakes
> I've Know and Loved",  "How to Cook a Rogue Fruit Cake", "The Complete
> Idiot's Guide to Fruit Cake"   "A Field Guide to Fruit Cake", "For Whom the
> Fruit Cake Bakes", or perhaps "The Fruit Cake and I".

Hmmnnn... how about "Fruitcake is a Harsh Mistress", or " Fruitcake: We Dare You", or "Fruitcake
and Naptha:  A Beginners Guide to Trace Evidence Removal."

William de Grandfort

=====
She was freezer burn...... all else is only icing.