[Sca-cooks] Fruitcake's Bad Rap

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri Nov 26 13:58:13 PST 2004

Was written:

> believe its more of a traditional North American cultural thingy to joke
> about and dislike fruitcake. I also imagine that dried out commercial
cakes
> which use inferior ingredients is what gives Fruitcake a bad rap. Make
your
> own and try it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what "real"
> fruitcake tastes like.

Perhaps we should attempt the rehabilitation of the "North American Fruit
Cake" by selecting as a group the perfect, indeed penultimate, recipe or
failing that a series of recipes which cater to spectrum of tastes such that
there will be among these a cake that will be acceptable even to the most
jaded of tastes.   A book... I can see a cook book in this... "Fruit Cakes
I've Know and Loved",  "How to Cook a Rogue Fruit Cake", "The Complete
Idiot's Guide to Fruit Cake"   "A Field Guide to Fruit Cake", "For Whom the
Fruit Cake Bakes", or perhaps "The Fruit Cake and I".

Daniel